Saturday, January 21, 2012

Say "Si"

In December, I attended an "Additional Year Retreat" in Houston, TX. All 20 additional year JVs from around the nation gathered together for a time of fellowship, reflection and prayer, which only cultivated inside jokes, bonds, and incredible conversations. I deeply valued the opportunity to reflect on where I have been, where I am now and where I will be. It was a year ago that I applied to the additional year program. It started when I said "yes" to another year. I simply craved the intentional lifestyle of a JV and I felt that there were more opportunities to grow deeper in the four values of community, social justice, simplicity and spirituality.
I said "yes" to deepening relationships with my clients and understanding the issues of our neighborhood. I celebrate their achievements and sit with them through their frustrations. I mourn the financial hardships they face and smile when they greet me with hugs.
I said "yes" to finding creative ways to live simply. We've started to line dry our clothes, reuse water and eat a raw food meal weekly.
I said "yes" to deepening my trust in God and developing my awareness of God's movements. To trust in the slow work of God is easier said than done, but when I do let go, I feel a deep sense of inner peace.
I said "yes" to mature in my relations with community members. I understand that everyone travels a different path, but there is value in supporting their journey while also living my own.
I said "yes" to the challenges and putting myself out there for other people.
I said "yes" to living with a sense of awareness, understanding and non-judgement.
I said "yes" to live with joy, gratitude and hope.

The commitment to say yes isn't always an easy one. I've discovered it's more of a struggle than I imagined. But it's through the perseverance in the desire to grow, make mistakes and get up and discover God's movements that I continue to say yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment