Monday, January 30, 2012

Vamos

Believe it or not, I am beginning to reflect on my transition out of JVC and more specifically, my work at Our Lady of Guadalupe Church. More and more people are curious to know what I am going to do when August comes; Where am I going? What will I do? These are great questions, but I don't even know how to answer them myself!

The conversation has begun about who will take the responsibility of youth ministry as my term ends. I've put my heart into this ministry and into the youth and it's painful to recognize that an end date is in place. I am reminded of St. Ignatius and his teachings on "detachment". In a sense, you detach yourself from your desire of certain material possessions, relationships, experiences and emotions which in turn, helps you gain a heighten perspective. St. Ignatius says, “We should not fix our desires on health or sickness, wealth or poverty, success or failure, a long life or a short one.” Our one goal is the freedom to make a wholehearted choice to follow God. So when I reflect on the difficulty of letting go, I am reminded to look beyond myself and rest in the greater vision of youth ministry. Youth Ministry deserves someone who is in a full-time position who can remain committed, focused, consistent and available. They need someone with experience, education and greater understanding. That's not the case right now, but I hope they would be able to hire a full-time youth minister in the future. It's that important!!

I also have to recognize my role as a JV. I'm only here for a limited time. One year didn't feel like enough time, and I was blessed with a second year. But now, a second year doesn't feel like enough. It takes a sense of humility to realize that I'm here to serve and to do the best I can while I'm here. I'm here to bring a sense of energy, new perspective, talents and dedication, just like the JVs before me and the JVs who will come after me. And what's important through all of this is recognizing how beautiful this journey has been and continues to be. It's not about the end result, but how much love I put into each day and into each person and to do it with a willing and humble heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment