Sunday, November 27, 2011

Celebrando

My natural tendency is to work, work, work, and when that is all done, then I can play. Yikes... You can imagine that I am not the most delightful person to be around if I never pull myself away from "work." Yet, God shows me that you can celebrate and play while you work and I sure have had some lively moments to celebrate.

On November 5, we celebrated the Antorche Mass. The Antorche is an incredible story of runners carrying a torch that gives honor and thanksgiving to Our Lady of Guadalupe. With her, they send prayers to God to end the violence in Mexico, to fight for the DREAM Act, and guide those who cross the border. The Torch began it's journey on October 1 in Mexico City. It crossed the border on October 31 and arrived at our parish that night. It left the next morning with one of our parishioners running with it for 20 miles. It will reach New York City on December 12, the Feast Day of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

For anyone who thinks Mass is boring, I wish they could have been there that night! The celebration was beautiful and vibrant. The Matachines (Mexican religious dancers) were incredible, with people of all ages dancing, singing and marching in the aisles around the pews. Archbishop Gustavo presided, and his homily was so moving. He was quite conversational with a constant response from the congregation. Then at the end of Mass, the congregation broke out into song, singing "Las mananitas" (Spanish version of 'Happy Birthday') to the Provincial (the Superior of the Jesuits) who was visiting for the weekend. Throughout the Mass, people were clapping, raising their hands and having a good time. I left Mass laughing because I was so full of joy at the witness of people coming alive.

What I find myself celebrating most often is the youth; for what they accomplish and for who they are. Take for example this morning... It's 8am on a Sunday, and I'm chilling in my pjs reading a fantastic book while lying in bed. I get a text message from a youth who asks if I can come to the cafeteria because he has something to show me. By this point in my ministry, there is no hesitation. A youth wants to show me something?! He must be pretty dang proud to text me at 8am. When I open the door to the cafeteria, there he is beaming with a smile, wearing his new police cadet uniform. You cannot be more proud than he will ever be at what he's accomplished and his passion to keep going.

I also celebrate when our youth get accepted into their first choice universities for next year.
I celebrate when our youth become lectors, ushers and Eucharistic Ministers for the liturgy. They simply glow...
I celebrate when a youth posts on facebook that they are excited to go to church.
I celebrate the affection the high school youth show to the middle school youth.
I celebrate the youths' curiousity, silliness, gentleness and kindness.

I also celebrate community; it is here that I feel accepted, supported and understood.
I celebrate the silliness and laughter that fills the house. I appreciate it most when I'm bitter and upset. Even though I would rather wallow in my misery, they end up reminding me of what's important.
I celebrate the Thanksgiving dinner we had...all of us without our families, recreating family dishes and traditions, together.
I celebrate our differences in interests, ideas and goals because I would never get these other perspectives and the opportunity to try new things.

What are you celebrating today?

No comments:

Post a Comment