Monday, July 25, 2011

Livin' La Vida Sagrada

Tomorrow, I leave for Houston, ready for round two of Orientation. I leave behind a year full of memories, experiences and emotions. I leave six girls who have impacted my life; who have shared together joys, frustrations and growth. And I walk forward to greet a new community. Our community will consist of six ladies and one gentleman. I am looking forward to our conversations at Orientation; the values that each person holds and the goals they have for this year. I look forward to listening to each community members' significant moments that have led them here and what keeps them going. I am ready to give my love, attention and dedication to six new people, but that doesn't mean I love the girls who are leaving any less. They will always hold a special place in my heart and I am changed because of them; because of their love, affirmations, challenges and support.

I am grateful that I will return back to the larger community that I know so well. I come back to the open arms of the youth, the support of the parish and the needs of the community.

Don't think that I'm not worried...there is anxiety that arises every so often. I fear my spirit growing tired, my work becoming monotonous, my passion dwindling...all feelings that I've experienced recently...But it's these moments where I seek guidance, a renewed spirit and growth through prayer and conversation, and my hope is restored.

And in those moments of desolation, you really gotta look back and see where God was already present and then your current situation doesn't look so dreary. I've compiled a small list of moments that I have cherished, that remind me that God is real and ever-present.

-When Fr. Marty laughs - really laughs - he slowly leans back, closes his eyes in a squinty way and chuckles

-Reconciliation during a week-long, overnight summer camp for the youth: That was where I said to myself, "Oh my goodness, THIS is where I want to be. I don't want to be anywhere else except with these kids, right here."

-The Foundry Coffee Shop with Kelsey: Prayer, conversation, love, and laughter all get shared on the couch by the window

-Roadtrips with the girls: They are HILARIOUS. I like being a witness to their joy. (Insert "Good Life" by OneRepublic and Christina yelling from the back seat, "Ted-DAY!")

-Stations of the cross and the Proclamation of the Gospel: Proudest moment ever.

-Dinner with all the girls: It's a beautiful image of what community is.

-Confirmation: My cheeks hurt after that night because I was smiling the whole time.

-Fourth of July with the Jesuits: Dinner, Jesuit jokes and a musical jam session. The Jesuits and Jesuiettes know how to have a good time.

-Disorientation: The beginning of my goodbyes and thank yous.

-Playing the memory game with different types of cheeses: The most random, gut-hurting conversation on the way back home from dinner. You should try it...it's quite the challenge.


Closing Chapter One and Beginning Chapter Two...

No comments:

Post a Comment